Sunday, April 29, 2012

Grandpa Jarvis...




(Wm. Shakespeare)

That’s the first thing that came to my mind, about an hour ago, as I was doing some family research online and came to a curious character named Jarvis Mudge.  It seems that poor Jarvis is famous simply because of his relationships.  No, not for being my seventh great grandfather, although that is a worthy reason to be famous…

It seems that Jarvis was married to the widow Elsen.  They had two children: Moses and Micah.  But that’s not his “claim to fame” either. 

You see, Massachusetts didn’t have a corner on the witch hunt market.  Connecticut had their share of witches, too.  Hence, the great Hartford Witch hunts of 1692-1695.  And poor Rebecca Elsen Mudge, a confessed and convicted witch, was hanged on Gallows Hill on January 22, 1693. 

Yup, my seventh great grandmother, on my father’s side, was a witch.  I don’t know if she had a cauldron, or not.  And I have to wonder if she read Shakespeare’s Macbeth….

I heard, for most of my early life, about my heritage.  The English sailors who braved the seas.  The Vikings and their conquests.  My grandparents and great grandparents life and times….  I don’t know if my father knew we were related to William the Conqueror or not. 

If he knew about Rebecca the Witch, he kept it to himself….

Cali

1 comment:

  1. So nice to see you're back and blogging again! I could read your blogs for hours!! :-)

    ReplyDelete