Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thoughts About Adornments...


Bracelet from Kohl's.com

I spent some time today cleaning some of my jewelry.  I used those cleaning cloths to get the yuck off some bracelets, mostly.  

 I have purchased some new pieces of “costume jewelry” (read: not expensive) recently and today I rearranged everything after it was cleaned.

In the past couple of months, I have purchased several new purses, too.  And scarves.  And shoes.

Why?

That’s the question I have been trying to answer today…. Is it because I suddenly care how I look when I leave the house?  Is it because I have the time, now that I’m retired, to choose my ensemble more carefully?  Is it because I have lost so much weight and so many more of my clothes fit again?  Or is it because I am no longer spending my days in scrubs, “adorned” only with a watch on my left wrist and a stethoscope around my neck?

All the above, I think….

Whether you prefer wild prints and sky-high heels, or jeans and a tee shirt, I think it’s about feeling comfortable in your own skin.  Whether you must follow the latest fashion trends, or you are comfortable with your own, personal sense of style, it all comes back to your sense of self.

For now, I’m having fun choosing adornments to go with my clothing: jewelry, purse, shoes…. Six months from now, I may just wear sweats and a tee shirt and flip flops and be comfortable.  Or I might ramp up my fashion look to suit my changing style.  Probably NOT the crazy shoes women are wearing these days.  I spent too many years taking care of patients in sensible shoes….for twelve hours at a time.

I wrote a blog a couple of years ago about granny shoes.  My point was: I won’t be pigeon-holed by my age and wear “appropriate clothing” as they say (in that case, it was pink high heels that I liked). I am thrilled to be my age and not dead!  I don’t care about my “lumps” and scars and imperfections anymore.  I guess I am finally comfortable in my own skin….

In any case, I will wear what I like, add a big smile to the fashion statement I’m making, and enjoy my day.

Cali

No comments:

Post a Comment