Monday, May 7, 2012

From Podunk to Windsor Castle, Oh My!


How many presidents have served our country since Elizabeth II was crowned Queen of England?  Can you remember all of them?  Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard M. Nixon, Gerald R. Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan,  George H. W. Bush, William J. Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama…..to be exact.

Eleven presidents, a lot of history, and sixty years have come and gone since a young Elizabeth II was crowned Queen in 1952.  Amazing, isn’t it?

I suppose I am distantly related to Elizabeth II, considering that Matilda of Flanders, wife of William the Conqueror, is a relative of mine….  It’s a connection too far-removed to even consider, really…

Ah, but a there is another connection between the Queen and me.  Well, not me, but my hometown, Podunk.  You see, the Queen wants REAL cowboys to participate in the celebration of her Diamond Jubilee.  Real horse-riding, trick-roping, standing in the saddle cowboys.  Actually, cowgirls.  Or, as their group is known: The Riata Ranch Cowboy Girls.

I remember Riata Ranch from my teenage years.  Several of my friends and acquaintances from school were members of their riding group.  They used to “barrel race” at the annual rodeo.  I remember that they even appeared at Madison Square Garden a couple of times…

And now, they are getting their six minutes’ of fame, appearing at Windsor Castle, along with a stage coach and all the accoutrements of cowboy life, in jolly old England.  For the Queen….on her Jubilee.

Is that cool, or what?

Cali

No comments:

Post a Comment