Sunday, May 20, 2012

Surprises!


Yesterday, as I got out of my car and started walking towards the entrance to Walgreen’s, there was a woman standing at the Red Box movie rental kiosk.  She looked familiar.  Very familiar.  I didn’t say anything to her because I knew it couldn’t be who I thought it was.  Paula moved to the coast a couple of years ago, so she wouldn’t be in Podunk on a hot Saturday afternoon, would she?

I went to the photo counter and picked up the photos from our trip to Monterey.  We weren’t going to stop at Walgreen’s today but, it was on the way home…..

As I came out of the store, I was disappointed to see a young kid at the Red Box kiosk.  I had missed my chance to see if it was Paula, I guess…  And then I noticed the gray SUV pulling out of the parking space right next to mine: the lady at the kiosk was driving it.

She looked right at me and I knew it was Paula.  I pointed a finger at her.  She grinned and pulled back into her parking space.  Hugs, grins, tears, and a lot of catching up ensued.   I was her mentor when she came to work in the Home Health Agency.  We spent many work days together, seeing patients, helping her conquer the computer program, and laughing.  Sore stomach kinda laughing…

She still comes back to Podunk once a month to work a weekend in Nuclear Medicine at the hospital.  This was that weekend. And the time I decided to pick up my photos was the exact, same time she decided to look for a movie.

Serendipity!

As if that wasn’t wonderful enough, when I got home, the mail had arrived.  There were the usual things in the mail, and there was a magazine: “Coastal Living”.  I couldn’t figure out how I had gotten it, I didn’t subscribe to it, but there was my name on the mailing sticker, so it’s mine.

This morning, when I was reading it, I showed it to my husband and told him I didn’t know how I got it. “That’s easy: I ordered it for you.”  Another surprise: he’s ordered another magazine for me, too.   I quickly admonished him to not tell me what it was.  I want to be surprised! Another smile…

And earlier this afternoon, he went out and washed my car.  My poor, little Prius was filthy and now he’s clean and shiny!  I didn’t ask to have him washed, but I do appreciate the effort and the results.

Just a few minutes ago, I found a friend on Facebook.  I invited her to be my friend and she accepted.  We IM'd each other, via FB, for several minutes.  I hadn't been able to talk to her in awhile, so finding her on FB was another pleasant surprise...

Little, positive surprises.  That’s what makes getting up each morning such a treat.  What will the day bring?  What’s in store for me?  And mostly, will I be aware, and in the moment enough to appreciate it?

I surely hope so!

Cali


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gardenlady! Yes, indeed, many more happy days ahead!

      Cali

      Delete