Saturday, February 12, 2011

Taking Things For Granted....

Not a good idea, if you ask me. There are no guarantees in life.

Special moments can be fleeting, with lots of time in between. They must be savored when they happened, and remembered for as long as possible.

I went back to work on Thursday. It's been more than seven months since I was able to see patients and give them nursing care. I cannot believe how much I missed it. Perhaps because I have been doing it for thirty-five years, it was an integral part of my life that was missing.

And the time off was not a “practice” session for retirement. When I no longer need to work, and cannot continue doing the difficult work I do, it will be a celebration for me. Conclusion of a time in my life. And an end to the daily drudgery of having a job.

For seven months, I had no purpose, other than to get well. I had no direction, other than to try to get back to work. Just as I could not do the tasks I needed to do at work, I couldn't do those things I wanted to do at home.

Retirement will be different. It will be my choice. My logical next step. On my terms. And, instead of going out with back pain, I will go out with a sense of accomplishment. I will complete the job I started, so many years ago. And I will start my next job: enjoying my life and my love in a relaxed, retired setting.

Somewhere....

I will watch the sunset, and maybe a sunrise or two. I will relish life's little joys, and somehow, get through its sorrows. I will be me, I will be free, and I will enjoy what life brings.....

Every day.

Cali

No comments:

Post a Comment