Saturday, November 27, 2010

Win or Lose?

I'm watching college football this morning. There are old rivalries being played out. Chances to play in the bowl games are on the line. Seniors playing their last college games.

Last night, I watched another game: Boise State was supposed to win. I guess nobody remembered to tell Nevada. After Boise's early lead of 24-0, Nevada came back to win in overtime. Boise State dropped to fourth place in their conference.

One game made the difference between consideration to play a bowl game and being in fourth place. Interestingly, the kicker for Nevada made the win, with a well-placed kick. The kicker for Boise State missed two field goals, for the loss.

Competition. It's inherent in every day. Watching the jubilee of the winning team, versus the shock and disappointment of the other team, makes me wonder about competition. Probably, it brings out the best performance in the players. But does a score overshadow the effort?

I remember being told that it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game. If life is a game, of sorts, I want to be remembered for playing by the rules, being respectful of the other players, and giving the game my best performance.

Win or lose....

No comments:

Post a Comment