Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thoughts About Being Blonde....

What is it that bothers me about blonde jokes? Is it just because I'm blonde? Or is it the implication that blondes are dumb?

I am not dumb. I was also known in school as “a brain.” That was equally hurtful, in it's own way. And now, it seems like such a dichotomy: to be thought of as dumb because I am blonde and to be thought of as a “brain” because I did so well in school.

It had an impact on me, obviously, because I'm still thinking about it all these years later.

And I wonder: why is it so wrong to make an ethnic comment about other Americans but it's okay to tell blonde jokes?

My ancestors were from Denmark. They were Vikings who went to England and became carpenters. They came to America in 1630, served in every war this country has fought, and have always been Americans, through and through.

And some of us are blonde....

Cali

No comments:

Post a Comment